Corporation Tax, How to…, Recent Top FAQs
How do I submit a longer period of accounts for Corporation Tax?
If your year-end accounts cover a period longer than 12 months, you will need to prepare two Corporation Tax Returns. The first return will cover the first 12 months of the period, and the second return will cover the remainder.
- Prepare year-end accounts for the full period, then generate an iXBRL file
- From the year-end accounts summary screen, click Open CT Return
- The pop-up window will prompt you to choose between ‘Long Period First’ or ‘Short Period First’. Click Long Period First.
- On the top toolbar click Edit Record
- Click Open CT Comp & CT600
- The figures from the accounts are automatically apportioned between the long and short period returns. The Corporation Tax Calculation page is automatically populated with the Turnover from Trade or Profession, and Profit/Loss as per the accounts and figures such as depreciation and bank interest received.
- Manually enter any add-backs, disallowable expenditure, and additional schedules like capital allowances or R&D claims.
- Click Check and Generate iXBRL File
- Finally, open the CT600 for the short period and complete as per this guide.